Sunday 28 February 2016

Tracks of the Week 3: 22/2 - 28/2




Three for three! Back again with some selections of my favourite music from the past week. Even though this is a new series for the blog, I was blown away with the quality of great music this week, definitely give these tracks a listen if you haven't already. As always, let me know of any other new songs from the past week which I might have missed.

Iggy Pop – “Sunday”


Post Pop Depression, the collaborative project between Iggy Pop & Josh Homme (from Queens of the Stone Age) isn’t out until March but the album leaked online a few weeks ago, and Iggy’s official youtube channel dropped this track from the album yesterday. Apart from the already released “Gardenia”, I think this is the strongest offering from the album – I love the backing vocal harmonies, driving guitars and thumping rhythm sections. (I’m always a sucker for good handclaps too) The sickly-sweet string outro is a bit strange, but it’s not an unpleasant aftertaste. 4/5


Joey Bada$$ - “Ready”



When I picked Joey’s debut LP B4.DA.$$ as one of my favourites from 2015, I mused about the need for him to demonstrate a bit of versatility for whatever he channels himself into next – don’t get me wrong, I love old-school sounding hip hop, jazz rap in particular, but staying fresh in the game is paramount! That freshness is exactly the vibe I’m getting from his latest offering, produced by Statik Selektah. He seems to be leaning more towards a tougher, harder style of delivery, and clever wordplay like this “And if you really break a leg, I hope they still will cheer you” is dynamite. 4/5


Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Chance The Rapper – “Need to Know”


Chalk up another slam dunk for Chance, the hype is definitely getting substantial towards his third mixtape project. A recurring theme in This Unruly Mess I’ve Made is reflection and self-evaluation, focusing on Macklemore in particular in the years following his controversial Grammy win for Best Rap Album in 2014. I think the two play around the subject matter brilliantly, Chance even looks back on when he used to open shows for Macklemore, and how things have changed since then. The piano, horn & flute segments make for a great beat too. 3.5/5


Miguel – “Waves (Tame Impala Remix)”


Kevin Parker can literally do no wrong – everything he touches turns to spectacular, lush psychedelic goodness. This is one of several remixes featured in Miguel’s Rogue Waves EP, and stands miles apart from the rest – even eclipsing Miguel’s original. The additional backing vocal, “Gonna riiiiiiiide that waaaaaaaaave” is glorious, sung by Parker himself (I’m assuming?) and the extra instrumentation provided by Tame Impala that we all know and love transforms this into an addictive, trippy, R&B doozy. 4.5/5


Santigold – “Rendezvous Girl”


During my listen of Santigold’s new album 99¢ I had to double-check that I hadn’t accidentally swapped over to an 80s playlist when this came on. “Rendezvous Girl” is a straight mesh of new wave & electropop aesthetics, something I’d expect to hear from Duran Duran or New Gold Dream-era Simple Minds. The terrific driving beat, pulsating synth melodies and Santigold’s airy vocals all combine perfectly. It’s impossible to sit still while listening to this – I challenge anyone to do so. This is the banger of the week, right here. 4.5/5

- Karl

No comments:

Post a Comment